Wednesday, December 23, 2009

The Perfect Song

There is no set best song ever, but everyone's entitled to a favorite. To me, the is no song more perfect then Pink Floyd's very own THE GREAT GIG IN THE SKY.

If you've never heard it. . . http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZAydj4OJnwQ
(note: the time refers to my MP3, not the video. and it sounds better on LP, so who cares.)

Intro: A lot of people I play this song to get turned off by the beginning. Shows how much THEY appreciate music. Feh on them, I say. The song starts out innocently enough, bridging the gap from "Time" (another absolutely fantastic song) with a lush piano line, then slide guitar (who does that?!), and some voiced over lyrics about not being afraid to die. I may not play piano very well, but I learned the beginning, so I know the chords well. They're HAWT. Not too complex, but not overtly simple. Balance. A good lead in to the next segment shows it building, but nothing can prepare you for what is to come.

1:09: EXPLOSM. Seriously. Like, the song just blows up. Clare Torry instantly became my favorite vocalist ever because of this one song. More than Ella Fitzgerald. More than Freddie Mercury. Torry's not known for anything else. But she goes and freaking CLIMAXES IN THE MIDDLE OF A SONG. ZOMG. This is my favorite moment in all of music. There's a reason I call it the FLOYDGASM. Because it's just that. The G7/Cmin9 alteration is absolutely gorgeous. it resolves, yet soldiers on. SO glad I learned these chords. I once had the honor of playing them while an extremely talented musician jammed the hell out on them. I was blessed/turned on. Another thing I want to bring up is what separates songs like this from modern music. New music is loud, the song is BIG. Layers upon layers. Wailing vocals, solid bass (melodic, not thumpy), piano ostinato, fat chords on the organ, a steady beat with never too much fill, *MWAH.*

2:32: The song begins to die from here, with certain points of rising up again, but never to what it was. The organ drops out, but still busting out the arousing vocals is the incomperable Clare Torry. The piano chugging out a solemn yet intensely satisfying riff. . . and it all finishes on one Cmin9 chord. . . And you're left agape. That didn't just happen. No. It's too good. No. . . too perfect. Lie down in a dark room and listen to this song. Do yourself a favor.

One more thing. . . if you're a dude with a girl who knows anything about anything, this is perfect for making your move. Don't take my word on it? Listen to the song. Imagine the intro as building up, being cutesy and all. Build up to 1:09. Picture in your mind at 1:09 her opening her eyes, overwhelmed. and at the peak yell, arching her back in ecstasy. I think you all just shat bricks. Seriously. The song is dictating it for you. No work! GET SOME.

2 comments:

  1. You're just about the best music critique ever. This review was highly entertaining to the point that even a Pink Floyd-hater would want to listen to the song despite his convictions. Lolz at the last paragraph. I will definitely remember this when my time comes haha

    ReplyDelete