Saturday, February 13, 2010

Owww my embouchure :(

One of the things I'm so glad high school is over is the fact that there's no more band. God I hated it so much. So much in fact, it demotivated me from practicing and wanting to be a better musician. When I got to college, I was really sheepish about distracting people so I wouldn't play, and the desire to play that was never garnered to begin with stayed that way. Playing the trumpet, and in turn, making music fell out of my life.

As college as gone on, I've seen people open a lot more, and Davidson A also explode into guitar frenzy, in no small part due to my neighbor, Samuel Talbot. He's got more talent than he'll admit or knows what to do with. Seeing everyone so amazed by all of his tapping got my music blood flowing again, and I realized it's time. . .

So that's it. I'm coming out of retirement. I don't expect it to be easy. Committing time I shouldn't have to purely personal gains with no legitimate return. . . well, that's the hard part. And the fact that I completely suck. I was never that good before, but now I realize how hard all that stuff is to execute. Almost a full 6 months away from the trumpet doesnt quite throw me back to square one, but it IS quite a setback. My embouchure is weak, my airflow is poor, my fingerings are sloppy (thank you muscle memory), and my overall technique is lackadaisical. My futile attempts to do what I could before are all for naught.

It's gonna be arduous, but hopefully the reward is worth it. . .

So that's right: I'm BACK.

1 comment: